over 5 years ago
By Drenda Taylor
Multiple Meaning words
Many words in the English language have more than one meaning. This can be especially difficult for someone learning our language.
1) a part of the body
2) help, such as to give a hand
3) a worker like a ranch hand
4) means, such as death by one's hands
5) cards, as in to deal the hand
6) round of applause
7) a linear measure equal to about 4 inches
8) to submit, as in hand in work
9) give credit, such as, "I've got to hand it to you."
10. near, as to have on hand
This is just a few meanings for "hand." There are many more!